Importing by moving or copying data files
To import assets that were scanned by any version of TNI, simply copy the .inv files of these assets into the storage folder. If TNI is running and connected to that storage at the moment, the new files will be converted to the new format if necessary and imported immediately. Otherwise, the files will be imported next time TNI is started and the Storage opened.
To locate the storage folder, right-click the Storage root group in the Network tree and select Show in Explorer.
Importing files and folders
To import one or several assets, right-click a group or the root node of the Network tree and click Import / Import files..., then select the data files for import. This will place the specified assets into the group that you initially right-clicked.
To import the contents of a folder including subfolders, do the same, but click Import / Import folder... instead. After you specify the source folder, you'll be prompted to choose whether to import the folder structure. If you choose to do so, groups will be created in your storage to match the contents of the source folder. Otherwise, all the assets found in the source folder and its subfolders will be placed in the group you initially right-clicked.
These commands are also available from the main menu Storage / Import when the Storage is opened.
You can set up TNI to automatically refresh asset files from a certain folder on program launch or at regular intervals. This is done from the Auto-import section of the Options window. Additional options are:
- Press the Import now button to perform the importing without having to restart TNI or waiting for the timer;
- Import from subfolders is optional;
- Import folder structure: if enabled, TNI creates groups in your Storage root to match the folders found inside the source folder when the importing is being performed. Groups are only created for the folders that contain asset files. If disabled, all the discovered assets will be placed into the root group of your storage;
- It is possible to Delete files after import;
- You can enable or disable Import at startup and Import on timer and specify a custom Import period.
When importing an asset that is already present in the Storage, configuration snapshots from the new file will be moved to the existing one. If the new file was placed into the Storage manually, it will be deleted. This ensures that a single asset in TNI always has one file corresponding to it. This is true for import of any kind.
Converting the Storage from TNI 1.x
To convert the whole Storage from the old format, use the Storage / Open option from the main menu and select the root folder of the target Storage. The Storage contents will be wrapped into a ZIP archive first, and then converted to the new format. This process also preserves your group structure.
Converting an asset file from TNI 1.x to the new format reduces its size from ~1,5 MB to ~35 KB. Thus, complete conversion of the old Storage shrinks it about 40 times without losing any useful data.