Browsing, searching and filtering software
The Main software list displays every software item installed in your network.
The following information is displayed in the columns of the list:
- Title & version: the name and publisher of each software item, as well as its platform: TNI analyzes both Windows and macOS software. Tags, comments and tracking status will also be displayed here.
- Category: displays the type of the software selected. By selecting the required software item and using the context menu, you can set your category type, change the current one, or completely disable the category displaying.
- Type: displays a variation of the software distribution option. Using the context menu on the element, you can change the economic model of software usage.
- Copies: shows the number of installations of each software item discovered in your network.
- Licensing: compliance status for items that have licenses linked to them. Read about licensing in the License management section.
You can hide the network tree and the sidebar by clicking on the corresponded buttons on the leftand right of the toolbar. The icons hide and show the elements.
Theand icons allow you to switch the orientation of the additional information panel from vertical to horizontal mode and vice versa.
Use the search bar on the top-right of the workspace or press Ctrl + F to activate instant search. Start entering a software item title or a publisher name to narrow down the list.
TheFilters button is on the left of the toolbar. By clicking it you will get a list of available filters that can be applied to the main software list.
To apply one of the filters, click it and select its mode from the menu:
- OS filter: show only the software made for a specific platform;
- Licensing filter: show only the software with a specific compliance status (see License management);
- Category filter: show software only in the selected category or without it. You can create and specify your own category;
- Type filter: allows you to display software by type of distribution: Freeware, Shareware, etc.
- Tracking filter: show only the items that are tracked to attention, or only the ones that violate the tracking policy (see Tracking);
Asset filter: show only the software that’s installed or not installed on one or a group of computers selected in the Network tree;
- Visibility filter: displays all software, or only the software elements that were hidden manually;
- Tag filter: show only the software with a specific tag (see the Viewing details section to learn about tags);
- Saved searches: to save frequently used search terms and quickly apply them to the software list; to add a search term, choose Add from the filter menu. The multiple selection mode is available for the filter.
Choose a title for your saved search and enter the desired term. You can also create a Regular expression to find items that satisfy a complex condition.
- Publisher filter: when you click on the filter button, a window with a list of publishers will appear. A number of software items released by each publisher is displayed next to them and this number can be visible in the main list.
Active filters are highlighted in blue. To deactivate a filter, click on the selected filter and select Disable to disable the filter; or Disable and hide to deactivate the filter and hide it from the toolbar.
You can use all filters described above in any combination.
The list of publishers
In the filer list is the list of publishers. Next to each publisher is the number of software items released by them that are currently visible in the main list.
The list can be used as a publishers filter. Click a publisher title to narrow down the software list. Click Clear publishers filter to deactivate the filter.
You can select several publishers with your mouse and/or Ctrl and Shift keys. This could be useful when a single publisher is listed under several slightly different titles:
Use the search bar above the list to quickly find publishers.
You can pin an important publisher to the top of the list by hovering over an item and clicking the little pinicon to the left of it.
An indicator next to the screen selector displays the number of currently visible software items at all times.
Disabling software filters
Whenever a filter is applied to the software list, filter deactivators appear below the list. All filters can be cleared at once as well by the Disable all filters option.
Filters can also be deactivated from their respective menus.
To add a Tag, hover over over Set Tag in the context menu on a software item in the main list. Select one of the existing tags from the menu or add a new one. The corresponding tag icon will be displayed in the software list.
You can assign any number of tags to a software item as well as assign a tag to several elements at the same time, after selecting them in the software list.
To remove a tag from software, clickRemove Tag in the context menu on the software item and select the tag you want to remove from the list. The Remove all tags option removes all remaining tags for the selected element or group.
To delete a tag completely, go to Filters and click theicon on the right of the tag in the list of all added tags in the filter. In this case, the tag will be removed for all software items stored in the Software accounting and Licenses modes.
To the left of the filter edit buttonyou can find a counter for the number of all active tags of this type.
The Comment option in the software properties allows you to add text notes to the element. This is a convenient place for storing clarifying information about the software, in case you need quick access to it.
The corresponding icon next to the software element will indicate the presence of a comment. Hover cursor over theicon and it displays the information contained in the comment. To add information to a comment quickly , click on the icon and save the data with the Ctrl + Enter combination.
To delete a comment, click on the comment icon, then select the data and delete it. Or go to the software element properties and delete the necessary data in the Comment field.