This type of scan uses TNI's Windows agent to automatically scan any Windows computer as it logs on to the domain. This is achieved by adding a specific command line (with a call to a previously exported agent executable) to the user's domain logon script. Whenever the script is run, the agent is run on the remote asset as well. It generates a data file and places it into the specified directory. The resulting set of data files can then be imported to the TNI Storage either manually or automatically.
Setting up the logon script scanning
Go to the Scanner tab and click the Set up logon script scan button on the Sidebar (or open the Options window and go to the Logon script page).
- Use the Export standalone agent... button to place a copy of the Windows agent (tniwinagent.exe) into the shared folder of your choice. Make sure that the scanned assets have read rights to the folder you choose.
- Path to agent: contains the path to the agent's executable.
- In the Save path field, specify a separate folder that will contain the data files generated by agents. This folder should be accessible from the remote assets for writing and, with the /overwrite parameter, editing.
- You can add a delay before scan start in order to prevent performance issues caused by the scan process starting simultaneously with autorun programs.
- Overwrite existing files: when enabled, the previous versions of data files will be replaced with the new ones when the assets are scanned repeatedly.
Any modification of the above parameters generates a command line for the logon script. You may copy the command and paste it into the logon script manually, or let the program do it for you by clicking the Add the command to a script button.
A detailed step-by-step guide is available in the FAQ.
Automatically importing new data files
To automatically import the data generated by the logon script scan, go to Auto-import options and specify the path to the folder containing the data files (from the Save path field in Logon script settings) into the Import data path field. This way, your Storage will always contain the most recent configuration information from each computer in your domain. See the Data import section to find out more about the automatic import feature and its parameters.